Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Break 2010, continued

After our exciting adventure to Hilton Head, we headed toward Savannah. We had hotel reservations with a check-in time at 3. So, at this point we were way ahead of schedule. And we could not check in early. I guess some college spring-breakers trashed the hotel. Now I am really looking forward to stay at this place. I guess they threw pizzas on the walls, whole pizzas, and some other small damage.
Picture to left: I think this was the tallest bridge I have ever traveled on.

Anyways, we went just east of Savannah to Tybee Island. We actually had a lot of fun there. We went to one of the tallest lighthouses (next day I was sooooo sore from all those stairs), and its' museum. This also included a tour through the head keepers house (built in 1881), the original summer kitchen (built in 1812), and a few other buildings used for the lighthouse. We also went into Fort Screven's Battery Garland. This place served as part of America's Coastal Defense System until 1945. Now it is Tybee's museum. Tybee also has a long pier. We watched people fish, a guy "trying" to surf (that was fun), parasailing, etc.








Picture to right: man "trying" to surf. I'm no surfer, but those waves don't look big enough to surf on, and that water was freezing!




On our way to Savannah from Tybee, we stopped for lunch. We ate at a BBQ and seafood restaurant. You know how much I love BBQ. Well, not here. Danny liked is grilled tilapia though. I usually get unsweetened iced tea, with splenda, but I am in the south...so I ordered sweet tea. And it was the best drink I have ever had! Now I am hooked. That will have to change once we get back home though. At this point, we were able to check in to our hotel. When we got there they will trying to find a room for us. I guess someone overbooked the rooms. Pictures online can be deceiving, I have always expected the hotel to look a little less attractive. Hotel was under new owners, and so the website stated things that the hotel did not have anymore, i.e. managers reception. It was kinda messy too. I guess for our discounted price of $64, it was not bad. But I would never pay their normal price of $130 a night. Once we got situated in our room, we took a 2 hour nap. Remember, Danny had basically been up for 25 hours at this point. I was up for like 30-ish hours, with a few power naps. We are nuts! Hey, atleast I'm admitting it right.


So it's about 6:00 Saturday evening in Savannah, Georgia. And I'm hungry. And I want to see Downtown Savannah. If I knew what was ahead of us, I would have put my "wants" to the side.

To be continued... ;)


Dana

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving this! It's fun getting to follow along on your trip. I can't imagine what happens that makes you wish you would have put your 'wants' aside. This is like watching reality television with the suspense between episodes. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cracking me up! so hurry up and finish. you know i need to know everything!

    ReplyDelete